Skip to main content

Imagination and Innocence

I recently had the “cuzzy-wuzzies” (that’s cousins for normal people) stay for a long weekend. They usually come and stay for a week every summer. However this past summer we decided to go on vacation together instead. Going through cousin-withdrawal and feeling as if they had missed out on something, they “needed” to come visit at another time. Even the 20, 17, and 15 year olds still look forward to visits without complaint. The younger cousins about wet their pants in anticipation. As soon as dates are set they begin planning everything that they want to do together.

Our house may be full to overflowing when the cuzzy-wuzzies come, but I love every bit of the noise and the chaos. I love seeing their imaginations at work. I love seeing their innocence in a world polluted by so many negative things.

One of the things they always enjoy doing is making movies. This is something they have done on their last several get-togethers. They make up scripts and costumes. If they are anywhere nearby all I can hear is laughter. When they are done they can’t wait to show everyone the film. How many 15 and 17 year olds do you know are willing to get caught doing that, especially with younger children?

After seeing and enjoying all this it makes me wonder something. Why do people want kids to grow up so fast? The stresses of jobs, responsibilities, and paying bills come all too quickly. They will spend the rest of their lives with these. Let them enjoy those simple things in life. Better yet, enjoy those simple things with them. When was the last time you dressed up in a silly costume for the sake of a homemade movie? When was the last time you built a blanket fort without worrying about the appearance of the house or who will clean up the mess later? When was the last time you built a Lincoln Log town that takes up the entire floor space of your living room? When was the last time you allowed your imagination to just run wild?

Maybe it’s about time.

Comments

  1. Great read, Ruth. So often, we still play charades, even if it still the same things every time we play. The blanket forts, still a hit with my 8 year old. The bike rides around the neighborhood, good ole fashioned kickball in the backyard. It has been hard to not succumb to the pressures of today's world. Trips to Florida are not in our future. Our home is our disneyland. There will be time for a first plane ride when they get a little older. Living every moment is so important. The ipods they received from christmas were a one day wonder...they sit idle on their dressers. The memory of opening them, long gone. My oldest is in jump rope club...now that is what I call old fashioned fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Meditations - Ambivilence

Ambivalence Oh, how this word defines us as humans! We are ambivalent about so many things. We are wishy-washy. We can't seem to make up our minds about anything. Just look at a woman's bedroom after she has gotten dressed. The pile of clothes on the bed tells us that dress is the wrong color, that one is uncomfortable, today's the wrong mood for that one, that one isn't appropriate for the situation, that one doesn't fit anymore… I've known women that can't make up their minds about who they want to date. Some can't make up their minds about which women they truly want to be friends with. College students enter the university with one major and come out with another, yet work in a completely different third field. Couples get married only to find out shortly after the wedding that marriage (or the person they chose in the first place) isn't really right for them I could go on with examples of how we have mixed feelings, unc

Monday Meditations - Valuable

Valuable Sometimes as a mom it's hard to feel valuable. It's often a thankless job. Nobody sees even half of what you do. Work is often paid for with a screaming baby, a temper tantrum throwing toddler, a temperamental teenager, and a husband who just wants his dinner. I once read an article that said stay-at-home moms "should" be earning $162,581 a year. Where are my mom friends who see that in their bank account? You know something? Our mom value is not in money. Being a mom is the highest calling God gave to women, not climbing the corporate ladder. I am not dissing moms who work outside the home. Each one has to make choices as to what is best for her family. This is for all those who choose to stay at home, those who sometimes feel value less. Our value was in the little lives you are molding each day. Your payment is all the sticky, syrupy kisses and the I love yous from the lips of those to whom you gave life. Our value is raising ch

Monday Meditations - Joyful

Joyful What do you think of when you hear the world "joyful"? The giggling of children? A smiling face? A happy surprise? These things can all bring joy, but I have found that being joyful is a choice, a state of mind. When my father passed away a couple years ago, I posted this on my Facebook page: Today I choose to rejoice, in spite of my sadness. I rejoice in the fact that my father is no longer sick or suffering. I rejoice in the fact that I was born to parents who loved me enough to show me The Way, The Truth, and The Life. I rejoice in the fact that my parents are together again after many years of being apart. I rejoice in the fact that I will see them both again someday. I rejoice that when I do see them, they will both be whole and healthy. I know "rejoice" shows up a lot there, but you'll also notice the word "choose." That's part of being joyful in difficult times. We can be sad and still be joyful. We can be dis