Skip to main content

Monday Meditations - Knowledge



Knowledge

Some people love learning. Some people make a career out of it. If we are wise, we should be learning new things every day. I enjoy learning how to do new things; if it's home repairs or craft projects, I feel good in the end being able to stand back and see the fruits of my labor. I love reading and history. I enjoy combining the two even more – reading about history.

The funny thing about knowledge is that some people have a wealth of it, yet don't have any wisdom. What's the difference, you may ask? Knowledge is a knowing; wisdom is putting what we know to good use.

As we were raising our children, we gave them as much knowledge as we could. That's where our responsibility stopped. It's what they did with that knowledge that actually made a difference and turned knowledge into actual wisdom. Sometimes we hated to watch them go through things, but those were lessons they each had to learn for themselves.

I imagine God often feels the same way about us. He has given us His Word. If we've read it, we have the knowledge, but what have we done with it?

Do we know we should "cast all her cares on Him", yet continually worry about our day-to-day needs?

Do we know we should love our enemies, yet wish them ill will?

Do we know we should keep the Sabbath as a holy day, yet fill it up with all the activities we weren't able to accomplish during the week?

Do we know we should honor our parents, yet complain about all their idiosyncrasies to others?

If we could take all of those above scenarios, and many more commands from the Bible, from knowing to applying oh, how different our lives could be! How different this world could be!

Is there an area of your life where you have the knowledge of what you should do, but have yet to take this step to making it wisdom? Consider that today. Search the Scriptures to see what God has to say. Put it to prayer and God will help you overcome any challenge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Giveaway - Merry Christmas to YOU!

Ok, so I'm a little late in letting the winner know, but I won't bore with all the details why. Let's get to the information you really want. And the winner is... Kathryn Svendsen Congratulations, Kathryn! We will be in touch with you so you can receive your book. Cut It Out by Terri Gillespie I'm so excited that one of my cyber writing friends, Terri Gillespie, released her new book CUT IT OUT this week. I’ve already had an opportunity to read it in advance of its release (I love my job!). It’s wonderful! Because of all this excitement and wonder, she is offering to give away a copy of her book, you can choose either print or ecopy. All you have to do is leave a comment and your name will be randomly chosen. Make sure to leave your email address so I can get in touch with you. You don’t want to miss this great read! Here is my review of CUT IT OUT and a few words from Terri: This is my second go–round with the Mavens. While I did fin

Monday Meditations - Ambivilence

Ambivalence Oh, how this word defines us as humans! We are ambivalent about so many things. We are wishy-washy. We can't seem to make up our minds about anything. Just look at a woman's bedroom after she has gotten dressed. The pile of clothes on the bed tells us that dress is the wrong color, that one is uncomfortable, today's the wrong mood for that one, that one isn't appropriate for the situation, that one doesn't fit anymore… I've known women that can't make up their minds about who they want to date. Some can't make up their minds about which women they truly want to be friends with. College students enter the university with one major and come out with another, yet work in a completely different third field. Couples get married only to find out shortly after the wedding that marriage (or the person they chose in the first place) isn't really right for them I could go on with examples of how we have mixed feelings, unc

Monday Meditations - Joyful

Joyful What do you think of when you hear the world "joyful"? The giggling of children? A smiling face? A happy surprise? These things can all bring joy, but I have found that being joyful is a choice, a state of mind. When my father passed away a couple years ago, I posted this on my Facebook page: Today I choose to rejoice, in spite of my sadness. I rejoice in the fact that my father is no longer sick or suffering. I rejoice in the fact that I was born to parents who loved me enough to show me The Way, The Truth, and The Life. I rejoice in the fact that my parents are together again after many years of being apart. I rejoice in the fact that I will see them both again someday. I rejoice that when I do see them, they will both be whole and healthy. I know "rejoice" shows up a lot there, but you'll also notice the word "choose." That's part of being joyful in difficult times. We can be sad and still be joyful. We can be dis