Skip to main content

With Deepest Sympathy

Not too long ago I received one of the strangest and saddest phone calls ever. It was an older gentleman with whom I used to work. We started our employment at just about the same time and after the business shut down we kept in touch somewhat, seeing each other around town on occasion.
He was a widower and found his second wife who also worked with us. They shared several years together as a married couple, but then she passed away. That was the reason for the phone call. John called to thank me for the sympathy card I had sent.

“You are the only one who sent a card.”

I was flabbergasted. Even after retiring from the pulpit he still did some preaching, sometimes fairly regularly in churches. I found it extremely sad that no one else bothered to send condolences.

It was a good thing he asked me a questions after he made his statement, because I had no words. I didn’t know what to say. I almost felt like sending him another sympathy card, this time being sorry for people being so lousy.

Years ago I made it a point to always have a box of sympathy cards on hand. Friends, family, and church members would have a loved one pass away and I didn’t normally have a card I could send. By the time I would get to the store to buy one, it might be a week or two later. For some reason to me, sending a sympathy card that late just doesn’t seem right.

For us as Christians, we need to be there for others. We need to let them know they are on our minds. Cards are an inexpensive and easy way to do just that.

Here’s a challenge: Go buy several boxes of cards (birthday, thinking of you, get well, and of course, sympathy). Keep them on hand for when things come up in your social circles. Doing this one simple thing truly means a lot to someone who is hurting. If you doubt me, start sending out some cards. People will let you know how much it means.

Let’s be there for others and show them the love of Christ.




If you liked this post, be sure to click the link at the top of the page to follow by email. You will receive an email whenever there is a new post so you won't miss a thing. Thanks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Giveaway - Merry Christmas to YOU!

Ok, so I'm a little late in letting the winner know, but I won't bore with all the details why. Let's get to the information you really want. And the winner is... Kathryn Svendsen Congratulations, Kathryn! We will be in touch with you so you can receive your book. Cut It Out by Terri Gillespie I'm so excited that one of my cyber writing friends, Terri Gillespie, released her new book CUT IT OUT this week. I’ve already had an opportunity to read it in advance of its release (I love my job!). It’s wonderful! Because of all this excitement and wonder, she is offering to give away a copy of her book, you can choose either print or ecopy. All you have to do is leave a comment and your name will be randomly chosen. Make sure to leave your email address so I can get in touch with you. You don’t want to miss this great read! Here is my review of CUT IT OUT and a few words from Terri: This is my second go–round with the Mavens. While I did fin

Monday Meditations - Ambivilence

Ambivalence Oh, how this word defines us as humans! We are ambivalent about so many things. We are wishy-washy. We can't seem to make up our minds about anything. Just look at a woman's bedroom after she has gotten dressed. The pile of clothes on the bed tells us that dress is the wrong color, that one is uncomfortable, today's the wrong mood for that one, that one isn't appropriate for the situation, that one doesn't fit anymore… I've known women that can't make up their minds about who they want to date. Some can't make up their minds about which women they truly want to be friends with. College students enter the university with one major and come out with another, yet work in a completely different third field. Couples get married only to find out shortly after the wedding that marriage (or the person they chose in the first place) isn't really right for them I could go on with examples of how we have mixed feelings, unc

Monday Meditations - Valuable

Valuable Sometimes as a mom it's hard to feel valuable. It's often a thankless job. Nobody sees even half of what you do. Work is often paid for with a screaming baby, a temper tantrum throwing toddler, a temperamental teenager, and a husband who just wants his dinner. I once read an article that said stay-at-home moms "should" be earning $162,581 a year. Where are my mom friends who see that in their bank account? You know something? Our mom value is not in money. Being a mom is the highest calling God gave to women, not climbing the corporate ladder. I am not dissing moms who work outside the home. Each one has to make choices as to what is best for her family. This is for all those who choose to stay at home, those who sometimes feel value less. Our value was in the little lives you are molding each day. Your payment is all the sticky, syrupy kisses and the I love yous from the lips of those to whom you gave life. Our value is raising ch